Monday, February 9, 2009

I love jam

I love jam.

I have even named the cats on my street after jam.

Lemon Butter is the creamy ginger burmese that is so friendly he will walk straight into your house and fall asleep on your lap and Marmalade is the ginger tom cat who has a hard exterior but is quite sweet on the inside.

I am in the process of moving house, well between houses and all my baking tins and associated goods and chattels are in boxes waiting for my dream house to become available, as a result I am having major baking withdrawals.

This also means I have been eating out a lot. Most mornings I find myself at a different cafe and I have to say the simple things can sometimes make your day, like a good coffee and some good toast with butter and jam.

I had a really nice experience at The Wall last week. They have a fine selection of jams. Interesting jams, like Pear with Vanilla and Ginger, Fig with Cinnamon and Orange with Cardamom. All sweet with a little bit of spice.

I am relishing the opportunity to explore jam making further.

I have dabbled in the art of Lemon Butter and Passionfruit Butter which has been successful so far..

Lemon Butter

Ingredients
125g butter
1 1/2 cup caster sugar
3 egg yolks
juice of 3 lemons

Method
1. Cream butter and sugar in bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, beat in egg yolks and lemon juice until combined.
2. Pour mixture into a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.
3. When bubbles start to appear, remove from stove and allow to cool.
4. Transfer into sterilized jars and store in fridge.

* You can substitute the lemon juice for passionfruit pulp to make passionfruit butter

No comments: