Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Once upon a time..


I was a terrible baker.

It's true, just ask my boyfriend.

I baked cupcakes for him at the start of our relationship as a sweet surprise when he was working from home one day. They were as hard as rocks by the time they came out of the oven, but he told me how much he liked them and even ate one. He said he took them to work to share with his workmates the next day as they were soo delicious. A year later I found out the truth..

They didn't make it anywhere but into the bin. Deservedly so, they were awful.

Almost two years on and things are looking up.

About 7 months ago I moved into a new house with a gas oven and 4 new flatmates to bake for. It started with a bunch of bananas that were over ripe. The bananas were transformed into a delicious banana cake, which led to carrot cake and now I am inspired to create more wonderful delights on a weekly basis.

I take great pleasure in baking for people. My most avid supporters are my friends and housemates Kit, Rosie, Fergus and his lovely girlfriend Anni. My boyfriend Andy and his work colleagues at Holler are also very supportive. I take a little something into their office about once a week and in return I get feedback and sometimes even applause. My Sticky Date Pudding has also induced marriage proposals (wuv you wawa).

My friend Daniel gave me a 2kg bag of Lindt white cooking chocolate which was the inspiration for a series of white chocolate recipes. My favourite was the Wonderful White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies..

Wonderful White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies

Ingredients
115 g butter, softened
110 g packed brown sugar
100 g white sugar
1 egg
15 ml brandy or brandy essence
190 g plain flour
2 g baking soda
135 g white chocolate chips
120 g dried cranberries

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180˚c and line baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and brandy. Combine the flour and baking soda; stir into the sugar mixture. Mix in the white chocolate chips and cranberries. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. For best results, take them out while they are still doughy. Allow cookies to cool for a few minute on the baking paper before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.